Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"And Mary treasured these things and pondered them in her heart..."

Dear Rhiannon,


As your parents your Daddy and I try very hard to help you understand the true meaning of Christmas. "The Birth of Jesus" may seem like a redundant phrase to most, but to us it is an event that changed history- and our lives forever. You have asked us many times if Christmas Eve is Jesus' REAL birthday-- it is so much more than that Sweet Girl, it's a celebration of Life. His, Ours, Yours. The amazing Eternal life he offered us through his birth and death. Thousands of years and countless generations later we rush around buying gifts and preparing meals, busying ourselves with errands, parties, and events- we forget how important it really is to stop and be amazed at this precious and incredible gift we have received.

You are an amazing reader now (and I'm not just bragging cause I'm biased! ;)) You fly through books and in no time you're on to the next. Tonight I thought it would be nice to have you read out of my bible for the first time- and not just any passage, but the story of the birth of Christ. As you read it you had many questions and comments ("Whats a flock?" "Bethlehem was where Jesus was born! I was born in Riverside!") As I sat the listening to your voice I felt so nostalgic. Will you remember this? Will it be as important of a moment to you as it was to me? Will you treasure these things in your heart and ponder them, as I have? You read until you couldn't keep your eyes open any more and it was so cute because every time you got to a new verse you would read the verse number: "Ten. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people. Eleven. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." I can't say I've ever been more proud of anything you've done. I hope this instills something in you that lasts your entire life, a thirst for heavenly knowledge and a hunger for spiritual understanding.

I will treasure this moment and ponder it in my heart forever.

I love you Sweet Girl.
Mommy

1 comments:

Rachel said...

This was so sweet Sarah. Made my eyes water a little. ;) lol.